Murray receives knighthood from Prince Charles for services to tennis and Wimbledon heroics

SIR Andy Murray received his knighthood from Prince Charles for his services to tennis and Wimbledon heroics on Thursday.

The British tennis star and two-time SW19 champion, 32, was named in the Queen's New Year Honours in 2016.

But today, Murray descended on Buckingham Palace to collect his knighthood after calling the "big honour" a "bit strange".

Speaking at the time of being named in the list, Murray claimed: “It’s great recognition for my results of the last few years.

"It’s obviously a very nice way to finish 2016 or start 2017, but I’m more than happy just being known as Andy, that’s fine by me.”

Murray received his knighthood on Thursday alongside author Sir Philip Pullman for his services to literature.

Meanwhile, the Dunblane ace has given the strongest hint yet he is ready to return to the tennis circuit this year.

MURRAY PAIN-FREE

Britain’s No1 tennis star says he remains “pain-free” almost four months after his career-saving hip-resurfacing operation.

The Scot was videoed hitting balls in a stationary position last month at Wimbledon as he continues his rehab.

Now, Wimbledon chiefs will consider bending their rules to allow Murray enough time to be fit for this summer’s tournament.

The draw takes place on June 28 and the championships begin on July 1.

The Scot, who missed last year’s Wimbledon through injury, is on the entry list for Queen’s, which starts on June 17.

All England Club chairman Philip Brook said: “There have been no discussions with Andy yet. It’s too soon to know the answer to that one.

“Should he wish to apply for a wildcard he would do so in the normal way. We have a meeting on June 18 to decide on which players receive wildcards.”

Asked if that deadline could be extended for Muzza until the draw, CEO Richard Lewis said: “We’ve held wildcards back before.

“If Andy came forward with a strong case I am sure we would work with him.”

Source: Read Full Article