Iran-US crisis: ‘Region ready to explode’ Tehran warns of impending doom in Middle East
The country’s Foreign Minister, Mohammad Zarif has recently spoken of the tense relations in the region as both Washington and Tehran have exchanged a series skirmishes. On Monday, Mr Zarif told the BBC that the “no one would be safe” if a conflict were to occur in the region. Moreover, the Iranian official told NBC News that the region is “ready to explode”.
In the interview with the US news channel, Mr Zarif insisted that the US must halt the multiple arms deals it has with Middle Eastern nations such as Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
He added: “American weaponry is going into our region, making our region ready to explode.
“If they want to talk about our missiles, they need first to stop selling all these weapons, including missiles.”
In a further attack on Washington, Mr Zarif warned that the US must end its economic war on Tehran.
In response to the sanctions, the Islamic Republic revealed that it would begin to enrich uranium to five percent recently, exceeding the stated level in the 2015 nuclear deal.
Despite the threatening words from the Iranian official, he still did admit that the “room for negotiation is wide open”.
Similarly, Donald Trump instructed his Cabinet on Tuesday that the US does not want regime change in Iran.
He did, however, admit that the US does want the country “out of Yemen”.
Following the President’s line, Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo claimed that for the first time Iranian officials “are ready to negotiate on their missile programme”.
The two countries have seen relations fall to their lowest over the last month.
Following two separate attacks on an oil tanker in the Persian Gulf – which the US accused Iran of instigating – Trump admitted that he came close to sanctioning a strike on the country.
Iran had also attempted to seize an oil tanker last week but were forced back after a UK vessel issued a warning to the Revolutionary Guard’s ship.
Source: Read Full Article