Israel Folau’s fate could be decided in two weeks

Israel Folau’s fate could be decided in just two weeks as date is set for his conduct hearing over homophobic social media post

  • Hearing to decide fate of rugby superstar Israel Folau is set for Saturday, May 4
  • Folau’s charged with a high-level code of conduct breach for social media post
  • Folau will face a panel of three officials including a high ranking barrister  

Israel Folau’s future with Rugby Australia may be decided within two weeks after his code of conduct hearing was set for May 4.

The following day has been reserved in case the hearing runs over.

The Wallabies superstar has been charged with a high-level code of conduct breach following his latest controversial social media posts, and will front a three-person panel at Rugby Australia HQ in Sydney.

Israel Folau’s (pictured with wife Maria Folau) future in Australian rugby may be decided within two weeks after his code of conduct hearing was set for Saturday, May 4

The Wallabies superstar has been charged with a high-level code of conduct breach following his latest controversial social media posts (pictured), and will front a panel at Rugby Australia HQ 

Respected Sydney barrister John West QC will chair the tribunal, alongside panellists Rugby Australia representative Kate Eastman SC and Rugby Union Players’ Association representative John Boultbee.

Former Solicitor-General of Australia Justin Gleeson QC will represent Rugby Australia at the hearing.

Unless successful at the hearing, Folau faces the sack after being issued with a ‘high-level’ breach notice last Monday over the posts he made on Twitter and Instagram on April 10.

The religiously-motivated Folau posted on Instagram: ‘Warning. Drunks, homosexuals, adulterers, liars, fornicators, thieves, atheists, idolaters. Hell awaits you. Repent! Only Jesus saves.’ 

The RA Integrity Unit deemed Folau had committed a high-level breach of the Professional Players’ Code of Conduct, warranting termination of his employment contract.

Folau was given 48 hours to accept that sanction or have the matter referred to a code of conduct hearing. He opted for the latter. 

There’s no guarantee the outcome of the hearing will be the final chapter of the saga, as the loser could consider court action. 

Unless successful at the hearing, Folau (pictured) faces the sack after being issued with a ‘high-level’ breach notice last Monday over the posts he made on Twitter and Instagram on April 10

Folau was stood down by the NSW Rugby Union on April 12.

In their first match without him, the Waratahs scored a crucial Super Rugby win over Australian conference leader Melbourne last Saturday.

Rugby Australia CEO Raelene Castle said Folau was warned formally and repeatedly last year about expectations of him as a Wallabies and Waratahs player in regards to his social media use, following similar controversial posts.

She has stressed the action taken against Folau is about the issue of responsibilities an employee owes to their employer, rather than punishment for his religious beliefs.

Rugby Australia CEO Raelene Castle (pictured) said Folau was warned formally and repeatedly last year about expectations of him as a Wallabies and Waratahs player in regards to his social media use, following similar controversial posts

 

Source: Read Full Article