BBC gameshow Total Wipeout 'set to return with X-rated new twist'
BBC gameshow Total Wipeout ‘set to return with X-rated new twist’ ten years after being axed
BBC gameshow Total Wipeout is reportedly set to return to screens with an X-rated new twist.
The programme, which was hosted by Richard Hammond and Amanda Byram, was axed in 2012 after six series’.
Total Wipeout saw contestants clambers across obstacles over large bodies of water, or mud, in an attempt to win £10,000.
According the The Sun, the series will be making a come back, although it will likely be snapped up by Channel 4 or ITV, due to the daring new format.
A TV insider told the publication: ‘Total Wipeout was one of the unsung heroes of British telly, even though it had a huge following when it was on our screens.’
Exciting: BBC gameshow Total Wipeout is reportedly set to return to screens with an X-rated new twist
They added: ‘Producers are keen to tap into that again — only this time it may end up with a different name and it will be getting this very modern twist with the nudity element.
‘But they may have to think twice about a celebrity version— just like the original show — as it’s unlikely to get many takers.’
Producer’s aren’t worried that the nudity element will put off potential contestants due to the popularity of similar shows.
MailOnline has contacted the BBC for comment.
The Saturday night show that ran from 2009 until 2012 was a big success for the BBC.
However, a source told the Mail that while Wipeout still gets ‘reasonable’ ratings, bosses felt it had ‘served its purpose’ after six series.
A BBC spokeswoman said: ‘After four very successful series of Total Wipeout, and one series of Winter Wipeout, the BBC has taken the decision that the next series, due for later this year, will be the last.’
There have been various spin-off versions of the BBC1 show, such as Winter Wipeout and Celebrity Wipeout.
Throwback: The programme, which was hosted by Richard Hammond and Amanda Byram, was axed in 2012 after six series’
Each week, 20 contestants competed in a series of gruelling challenges in an attempt to win £10,000.
These challenges were based in large pools of water or mud, with participants tasked with going through the Wipeout Zone, billed as the ‘toughest obstacle course in the world’ in the quickest time possible at the end of the show.
But the show was not without controversy.
In 2009, two celebrities sought legal advice over injuries they had sustained while filming Total Wipeout.
Former Kenny Everett sidekick Cleo Rocos and Jade Goody’s personal trainer Kevin Adams asked actors’ union Equity for legal advice on whether they had a case to demand compensation.
Both were injured during a celebrity edition of the tough It’s A Knockout-style show.
Kevin tore ligaments while Celebrity Big Brother star Cleo suffered a knee injury which left her on crutches for three weeks.
Drama: Former EastEnder Joe Swash dislocated his shoulder while taking part in the celebrity edition (pictured in May 2023)
They were not the only celebrities to suffer injuries during filming of the celebrity special in Argentina.
Former EastEnder Joe Swash dislocated his shoulder, ex-Olympic hurdler Sally Gunnell suffered severe bruising on her thighs, children’s presenter Kirsten O’Brien had a damaged knee and TV host Dominic Littlewood hurt his leg.
At the time, producers Endemol stressed they take health and safety extremely seriously and require potential contestants to fill in lengthy forms about their health.
A TV source said today that Endemol already have an idea for a replacement for the Wipeout series.
The most recent series of Winter Wipeout averaged 3.85million viewers and the normal series from January to March last year pulled in an average of 4.8million.
Over the years, the show’s ratings have fluctuated from 5.6million in 2010 to below four million viewers.
Source: Read Full Article