What Klopp said about Buvac last year could spark concern among Liverpool fans

Jurgen Klopp’s comments on Zjelko Buvac last year could spark concern among Liverpool fans.

Buvac, Klopp’s No.2, has taken a leave of absence from his role, between now and the end of the season, citing "personal reasons".

It comes amid reports of a long-running dispute between the pair, who have been friends and colleagues for 25 years.

The 56-year-old Bosnian is said to have been a key contributor to Liverpool’s success and development under Klopp.

His departure, whether temporary or permanent, could spell bad news for the Reds, who face Roma in the Champions League semi-final second leg on Wednesday.

Buvac is credited with being the co-architect of Klopp’s famed ‘Gegenpressing’ approach.


In August last year, Klopp highlighted the importance of Buvac, his other assistant, Peter Krawietz, and goalkeeper coach John Achterberg.

He said: “I am nothing without them.

“I think the biggest strength of strong people is to put people around you who are stronger in specific cases than yourself. Only if you are insecure you wouldn’t do that.

“When I started I was alone, but that was years ago and the world has changed so it’s really important we have this quality around.

“Zeljko is the brain, Pete is the eye."

For now, Buvac remains a Liverpool employee.

A statement from the club said: "Zeljko is spending some time away from the first-team environment, between now and the end of the season, for personal reasons.

"The club considers the matter to be private and therefore will respect that privacy by not making any further comment.

"Zeljko remains a Liverpool employee and his position at the club is not affected by this absence."

Source: Read Full Article