Wenger confirms he is ‘not a candidate for Bayern Munich’ but Arsenal legend won’t rule out return to management – The Sun
ARSENE WENGER confirmed he is not a candidate for the Bayern Munich job but is open to a return to management.
The legendary ex-Arsenal boss confirmed the German giants made an approach but made certain to clarify he is not a candidate for the job.
Wenger had been linked with the role all last week after Niko Kovac was sacked.
And in a video released by BeIN Sports on Friday, he appeared to confirm he would discuss the vacant manager's role with Bayern chief Uli Hoeness next week.
In Friday's original video, Wenger, who spent 22 years in charge at Arsenal, said: "On Wednesday afternoon, [Karl-Heinz] Rummenigge called me.
"I could not answer at that moment and out of politeness I called him back. He was driving to the Olympiakos game.
"We talked for four to five minutes maximum and he told me that they've signed [Hans-Dieter] Flik to be the coach.
"He will manage the next two games, because they play Borussia Dortmund [on Saturday].
"He asked me if I'd be interested because they are looking for a coach, I told him I didn't have any thoughts about it. It needs some time to think about.
But appearing on BeIN again today, Wenger put an end to the rumours.
He told BeIN presenter Richard Keys – who resigned from Sky in 2011 amid a sexism storm: "First of all I was never a candidate.
"I had been approached but I am not in the running for the job.
"I am not a candidate for the job.
"That is clear and definite."
Pressed on whether he was done with management completely, Wenger was equally clear.
He said: "No, not necessarily but at the moment."
Wenger spent 22 years in North London, winning three Premier League titles and the FA Cup seven times – the most in the competition's history.
Source: Read Full Article