Teen suffered horrific wounds after e-cig exploded in his mouth

A teenager was left with a broken jaw and a few less teeth after an electronic cigarette exploded in his mouth.

The 17-year-old arrived at hospital two hours after the accident with severe wounds that required the surgeons to remove several teeth from his mouth because the sockets had been destroyed.

According to the New England Journal of Medicine, he also needed a dental plate beneath his gums to stabilise his jawbone and then to have his entire jaw wired shut for six months to give it time to heal.

The incident took place over a year ago in the US, and the case is now being studied as part of ongoing research into e-cigarettes.

‘When I met this patient, I had no idea that a vape pen could do this. It takes a lot of force to break your jaw,’ Dr. Katie Russell, a pediatric trauma surgeon at the University of Utah and Primary Children’s Hospital in Salt Lake City, who treated the patient, told Live Science.

Dr Russel said that, in this case, the e-cig was in good condition and hadn’t shown any previous problems.

The American Food and Drug Administration (FDA) suggests that in cases when the e-cig explodes (this isn’t the only instance of that happening) it’s usually to do with issues with the battery.

Meanwhile, the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents offers the following advice for vapers: ‘Poorly made or counterfeit chargers for e-cigarettes have caused house fires.

‘Only buy e-cigarettes from reputable outlets, use the correct charger for the device, follow the manufacturer’s instructions and don’t leave an e-cigarette charging unattended or overnight.

‘As with other electrical devices like mobile phones and laptops, e-cigarettes should not be charged or used if they’ve been damaged – battery cells that are damaged pose a chemical and fire risk.’

In this particular case, the horrific injuries the teenager suffered led him, unsurprisingly, to give up his e-cig habit there and then.

‘He totally quit all cigarettes after this incident,’ Russell said.

Source: Read Full Article