Boy who was thrown off Tate Modern balcony returns home for the first time
The Daily Star’s FREE newsletter is spectacular! Sign up today for the best stories straight to your inbox
A young boy who suffered horrific injuries when he was thrown from a balcony at the Tate Modern has returned home for the first time, his parents say.
Last August the boy, who was aged six and visiting London with his family, suffered life-changing injuries when he fell 100ft from the gallery's balcony.
18-year-old Jonty Bravery, who admitted attempted murder, was sentenced in June and will serve at least 15 years in prison.
His victim, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was initially treated at the Royal London Hospital before he was moved to a hospital in his native France.
The organiser of a GoFundMe page dedicated to raising money for the boy's medical treatment has now posted an uplifting update from his parents.
They said the boy had been able to go on his first holiday since the life-changing incident, going to the beach and building sandcastles with a friend.
His parents said: "He stays seated in one place, and we bring him what he needs to build. He couldn't swim, of course, mainly because he still can't move around without his splints.
"He also returned at home for the first time. Just for a weekend. And he was super happy to see his house and his toys again, even though he couldn't go upstairs to see his room.
"Of course, he also continues his progress. He still spends most of his day in a wheelchair and still cannot walk on his own, but when we give him our hand, we don’t need to carry his weight anymore like before – it is mostly about helping him to find his balance."
Simple 'game changer' £50 coronavirus test could halve tourists' quarantine time
The boy is able to walk a few metres at a time and can also climb one or two steps with his parents' help.
His parents added: "In addition, his breath and memory improve enough that he begins to try singing, and to learn to read, little by little."
The family extended their thanks to fundraisers for their support and said they are "deeply grateful" and would try to provide regular updates about their son's progress.
CCTV footage showed Bravery grabbing the young French boy and throwing him over the railings of a 10th-floor viewing gantry on August 4 last year.
Piers Morgan and wife Celia burgled as thieves invade their bedroom as they slept
The boy, who has permanent name suppression because of his age, fell 100 feet and suffered brain injuries, broken arms and legs, and a fractured spine.
The GoFundMe page has so far raised over £241,000 to help the family.
Bravery, then 17, was arrested at the scene. He pleaded guilty to attempted murder at a court appearance in December, and confessed he "wanted to be on the news".
He confessed to police that he had been planning the incident for a long time, and had researched the easiest way to kill someone.
- In the News
Source: Read Full Article