Harvey Weinstein accuser drops lawsuit after claiming coerced sex
Woman DROPS lawsuit against Harvey Weinstein after she claimed he coerced her into having sex with him at Peninsula Hotel and called himself the ‘King of Hollywood’
- Woman known only as Jane Doe had her attorneys file paperwork in LA Superior Court, seeking to dismiss her civil lawsuit against Harvey Weinstein
- Request to dismiss suit was made ‘without prejudice,’ meaning that Doe could refile it in the future
- Doe sued Weinstein in March 2020, accusing him of sexual assault and battery stemming from 2014 encounter
- Lawsuit claimed Weinstein offered the woman a role, then threatened to derail her career if she refused to have sex with him
- Miramax co-founder allegedly called himself ‘King of Hollywood’ and boasted that he runs the movie industry
- Doe said she felt cornered and relented to Weinstein’s demands inside his room at The Peninsula Hotel in Beverly Hills
- Lawsuit claimed Weinstein had the woman call him ‘king’ during their sexual encounter
- Plaintiff said she later fell into depression, suffered a breakdown and started losing her hair
- Weinstein is serving 23 years in prison in New York after being convicted of rape and criminal sexual act
- He faces additional 11 counts of sexual assault and rape in Los Angeles
A woman who filed a civil complaint last year, accusing Harvey Weinstein of coercing her into having sex with him at the Peninsula Beverly Hills Hotel after threatening to derail her fledgling acting career, has dropped her lawsuit.
Attorneys representing the accuser, identified only as Jane Doe, filed paperwork last week in Los Angeles Superior Court, asking that the case be dismissed ‘without prejudice,’ which would allow her to refile the lawsuit in the future.
The documents did not explain why the plaintiff has decided to drop her case against Weinstein at this time.
The 69-year-old disgraced movie mogul is currently serving a 23-year sentence in New York for rape and sexual assault of two women. In July, he was extradited to Los Angeles to face an additional 11 counts of sexual assault and rape stemming from incidents involving five other women that took place between 2004 and 2013.
A woman known as Jane Doe last week had her attorneys file paperwork in LA Superior Court, seeking to dismiss her civil lawsuit against Harvey Weinstein (pictured in court in July)
Doe sued Weinstein in March 2020, accusing the disgraced movie mogul of sexual assault and battery stemming from a 2014 encounter (pictured on July 29)
Doe, the plaintiff who is now requesting that her complaint be dismissed, sued Weinstein in March 2020, accusing him of sexual assault and battery related to an encounter that took place at the luxury Peninsular Beverly Hills Hotel in 2014, reported Spectrum News 1.
The accuser said that she first met Weinstein at an event in Los Angeles in 2014, during which time the Miramax movie studio co-founder bragged to her, then an aspiring actress, ‘I run Hollywood,’ before inviting her to a meeting.
The complaint went on the say that the actress and Weinstein were set to meet in the lobby of the Peninsula Hotel, but the Shakespeare in Love producer did not come down, instead inviting her up to his suite.
According to the lawsuit, Weinstein met the woman at the door wearing a bathrobe without a belt.
During their conversation, Weinstein allegedly called himself the ‘King of Hollywood,’ told the actress she would be ‘perfect’ for several movie projects, and urged her to be smart about being nice to the right people in the industry.
Later, Weinstein excused himself to go the the bathroom. The lawsuit stated that when the woman heard the shower running, she exited the hotel room.
The lawsuit claimed that Weinstein coerced the plaintiff – an aspiring actress – to have sex with him at the Peninsula Beverly Hills Hotel (pictured) after threatening to blacklist her
Sometime after that first meeting, Doe claimed in the complaint that Weinstein sent her a script for a film and demanded a second face-to-face meeting at the same hotel.
When she went up to Weinstein’s room for what she thought would be a business meeting, according to the court filing, the producer again met him in a bathrobe.
This time, their conversation took a menacing tone when the powerful movie producer allegedly threatened to derail the actress’ career if she were to reject his sexual advances.
‘You know I can make you a star or I can make a call and you’ll never work again,’ the suit quoted Weinstein at telling Doe.
‘She was afraid he would put her on a blacklist and kill her career,’ the complaint alleged. ‘She was in a complete daze, unwilling to pleasure him, but at the same time desperate to avoid having her career destroyed by a man who was fully capable of doing so.’
Weinstein was found guilty in February 2020 of a criminal sexual act in the first degree and rape in the third degree (pictured at Manhattan Criminal Court on February 24, 2020)
Doe said she felt cornered and submitted to Weinstein’s demands. The lawsuit alleged that during their sexual encounter, the married father-of-five had the woman call him ‘king’ and repeatedly promised to ‘take care of her.’
The woman claimed in the complaint that she left the hotel suite in ‘a state of shock.’ In the wake of her encounter with the married film producer, she fell into a depression, suffered a mental breakdown, started losing her hair and did not have relations with a man for more than five years.
Weinstein was found guilty in February 2020 of a criminal sexual act in the first degree and rape in the third degree, while being cleared of predatory sexual assault charges.
He was convicted of raping ex-actress Jessica Mann in 2013 and of forcibly performing oral sex on former production assistant Mimi Haleyi in 2006.
Weinstein was extradited to Los Angeles in July to face 11 counts of rape and sexual assault
Nearly 90 women, including Angelina Jolie and Salma Hayek, have leveled sexual misconduct allegations against Weinstein.
In mid-August, a Los Angeles judge dismissed one of the 11 counts against Weinstein because the sexual battery by restraint charge stemming from a 2010 incident at a Beverly Hills hotel was too old and outside the statute of limitations.
Two weeks later, prosecutors filed an amended grand jury indictment against Weinstein for a third time. He has already pleaded not guilty to all 11 charges.
Weinstein is due back in court for an arraignment hearing on September 20. If convicted of the new charges, he could face up to 140 years in prison.
Source: Read Full Article