Heartbroken mum told her stillborn baby boy could have been saved THREE times

Kayleigh Turton, 26, was forced to having an emergency C-section after contracting sepsis – and her little boy, Freddie Webster, could not be revived by medics.

Now a probe has shockingly revealed his life could have been saved on three occasions.

Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust identified a number of "care and delivery problems" after Kayleigh was sent home from King's Mill Hospital – despite her waters breaking at 41 weeks and five days pregnant.

Kayleigh, of Sutton-in-Ashfield, said: "The pain of losing Freddie is indescribable and I'm not sure we'll ever really come to terms with it.

"Nothing could bring Freddie back or begin to make up for what happened – but the hospital trust now needs to make sure it enforces the recommendations highlighted in the report to ensure nobody else has to suffer the feelings of anger, pain and loss we have."

Kayleigh suffered with severe morning sickness throughout her pregnancy, and was due to be induced at 2pm on June 10 last year after her waters had broken.

But she was sent home after routine tests.

The same evening she was rushed to hospital showing signs of sepsis.

Two tests showed baby Freddie's heart rate was slowing down and not normal.

An emergency caesarean was performed but Freddie was born showing no signs of life.

Laura Hopkinson, medical negligence lawyer at Irwin Mitchell, said: "Kayleigh and Scott have been left devastated by the loss of baby Freddie but want the investigation to make a difference for other mums."

The report found the hospital did not follow guidelines on sepsis and advise Kayleigh how ill she was or that her baby's life was in danger.

Andy Haynes, Medical Director said: "Sherwood Forest Hospitals would like to sincerely apologise to Ms Turton once again.

"We met with Ms Turton and her family after the investigation to apologise face-to- face, offer our sincere condolences and support for the loss of her son Freddie.

"A full investigation has taken place and since this happened we have made a number of changes within our maternity services.

"For example we have reviewed practises around the monitoring of babies' heart rates and clarified the process about how and when to escalate issues to senior colleagues.

"The trust will continue to assist fully in any ongoing legal proceedings in relation to this tragic incident."


Source: Read Full Article