Hundreds of mourners gather to remember primary school teacher, 24
Hundreds of bucket hat wearing mourners gather to remember 24-year-old primary school teacher who died of sepsis WEEKS after developing cold-like symptoms
- Bethannie Booth, from Merthyr Tydfil, died surrounded by family on March 31
- The school worker was put in an induced coma after contracting Strep A
There was a sea of bucket hats and beautiful bright colours as hundreds of mourners gathered to say goodbye to a ‘fun-loving’ 24-year-old primary school teacher.
Bethannie Booth, from Merthyr Tydfil, died surrounded by her family on March 31 just weeks after developing cold and flu symptoms.
The popular primary school worker was put in an induced coma, having developed sepsis after contracting Strep A.
When Bethannie believed she wasn’t going to make it she sent her family texts setting out instructions for her own funeral, with bucket hats at the top of her list.
Honouring her wishes, hundreds dressed in vibrant clothes to attend her funeral at Llwydcoed Crematorium on Friday afternoon to celebrate her life.
Her mother, Leanne Booth, said her daughter chose the theme due to her zest for life.
Friends and family at the funeral service of Bethannie Booth
Ms Booth, from Merthyr Tydfil, was put into a coma when she developed sepsis after contracting Strep A
READ MORE: Sepsis symptoms in children: Five warning signs all parents should know
She said: ‘She just loved life, loved festivals and also had Ibiza booked for her holiday in July. [She] just loved wearing the bucket hat with quirky sunglasses.’
Paying tribute to her daughter, she added: ‘She was a beautiful young lady with a beautiful soul, fun-loving, caring and lived her life to the full.
‘As a family we called her the weekend offender. As a nursery teacher, Ms Booth took her job very seriously and professionally.
‘I can honestly say I’ve never ever met someone who loved their job as much as her. The children adored her; she was well and truly loved by them all.’
Ms Booth was the youngest of three daughters and was dearly loved by her older sisters, Megan, 25 and Nia-Ffion, 27, and younger brother, Corey, 10.
She was an auntie to Parker, three, Caled, four months, and Myles, nine weeks.
Her sister Megan previously told WalesOnline that Ms Booth loved her nephews very much.
She also described how, while Bethanie was in hospital, the children at the school she worked at all wrote cards and messages to her.
The primary school worker asked for her friends and family to wear bucket hats and bright coloured clothes
The funeral service took place at Llwydcoed crematorium
A look at some of the bright coloured clothes and bucket hats on display
Ms Booth sent her parents, Wayne and Leanne Booth, above, final messages while in hospital
‘The one thing they all said was how much she made them laugh,’ Megan said.
Her father Wayne said he, Leanne, Nia-Ffion and Megan all held Bethannie’s hand when she died.
They praised the doctors at both Guy’s and St Thomas Hospital and the Royal Glamorgan Hospital for doing all they could to help and thanked everyone from the consultants to the cleaners.
Following her death, the family wish to raise awareness of sepsis and its symptoms.
A fundraiser, which has now closed, raised nearly £8,000 in her memory and went towards giving Bethannie her perfect send off.
Tributes on the page showed how much Bethannie was loved by everyone.
Helen and Shaun Phillips said: ‘Boothy girl. You were not only my workmate but more importantly my friend. I couldn’t ask for a more loyal, funny, inspirational, vivacious person who I’m privileged to call my friend.
‘I will always miss you my darling beautiful girl. You show them up there how to party because you sure knew how to do it on Earth.’
What are the symptoms of Strep A? How does it spread? And is it the same as scarlet fever? Everything you need to know about the killer bug
What is Strep A?
Group A Streptococcus (Group A Strep or Strep A) bacteria can cause many different infections.
The bacteria are commonly found in the throat and on the skin, and some people have no symptoms.
Infections cause by Strep A range from minor illnesses to serious and deadly diseases.
They include the skin infection impetigo, scarlet fever and strep throat.
While the vast majority of infections are relatively mild, sometimes the bacteria cause life-threatening illness called invasive Group A Streptococcal disease.
What is invasive Group A Streptococcal disease?
Invasive Group A Strep disease is sometimes a life-threatening infection in which the bacteria have invaded parts of the body, such as the blood, deep muscle or lungs.
Two of the most severe, but rare, forms of invasive disease are necrotising fasciitis and streptococcal toxic shock syndrome.
Necrotising fasciitis is also known as the ‘flesh-eating disease’ and can occur if a wound gets infected.
Streptococcal toxic shock syndrome is a rapidly progressing infection causing low blood pressure/shock and damage to organs such as the kidneys, liver and lungs.
This type of toxic shock has a high death rate.
READ MAILONLINE’S FULL Q&A ON STREP A.
Source: Read Full Article