Man, 38, collapsed and died in Boots while on trip to shopping centre as desperate first aiders rushed in to help | The Sun

A 38-YEAR-OLD man collapsed and died in Boots while on a trip to a shopping centre as desperate first aiders rushed in to help.

Mark Bennett tragically died while out shopping with his parents, Steve and Elaine Bennett, at Sheffield's Meadowhall Shopping Centre.

As they waited outside for him, Mark called dad Steven from inside, saying: "Dad, come quick, I feel funny."

First-aiders at Boots rushed to Mark's aid and performed CPR on him after he collapsed in one of the aisles, as other staff phoned for an ambulance.

His parents watched on in horror but were told it could take half an hour for a paramedic to arrive, an inquest heard.

Steven and Elaine ended up waiting for an agonising 50 minutes for paramedics to arrive after their son collapsed.

Read More in News

Astrologer Russell Grant reveals brain cancer battle after tumour op

‘Arrogant’ ex-Leeds United player who raped girl, 17, jailed for 17 years

IT worker Mark, who was described as "in the prime of his life", suffered from a pulmonary embolism after having a fall ten days earlier.

Heartbroken dad Steven said: "I couldn't see him and the next thing I knew he was in one of the aisles – he had already collapsed.

"He had staff all around him and they were giving him CPR, the staff were tremendous. Boots staff phoned for a paramedic straight away but were told it could be half an hour.

"I shook my head in disbelief at that point but they actually took 50 minutes. I always wonder if they had turned up earlier whether they could have saved his life."

Most read in The Sun


Harry and Meghan evicted from Frogmore Cottage by King Charles after Spare memoir


Emmerdale's Amy Nuttall caught cheating hubby after sexy lingerie slip-up


Constance Marten and lover arrested over ‘manslaughter’


Woman found ‘murdered’ is missing mum who had not been seen since before Xmas

He continued: "It was awful, they're just images you can't get out of your mind. You go to sleep at night and the thing that goes through your mind are those images.

"It was a harrowing 50 minutes and we still have our moments. There's nothing worse than losing one of your own kids."

The inquest heard that Mark had developed a venous thromboebelism following an injury to his foot.

This happened after he tripped on some steps into a London Underground station on April 4 last year, landing "awkwardly".

However, crucially, it was decided that Mark posed no risk of developing deep vein thrombosis and so blood-thinning drugs were not prescribed. 

A&E doctor Akash Mittal, who treated Mark at London's Royal Free Hospital in the early hours of the following day, told the inquest that his foot showed signs of a fracture and tissue damage.

Mark's family described how he was "in the prime of his life" when he died.

The 38-year-old was "really excited" about buying a flat in Manchester and had missed out on seeing his niece become a toddler.

While his IT career specialising in Apple and Microsoft products was "going somewhere".

Read More on The Sun

Art Attack’s Neil Buchanan unrecognisable after quitting TV for rock band

New winter sun hotspot 5 hours from UK with 27C heat where TUI is launching hols

Speaking about his son at the inquest, Steven said: "He was a very caring character – he had a lot of time for people. He was a very intelligent young man.

"He was very sensitive and had a lot of empathy for people. He was hardworking and methodical in his thinking. He was a very nice person to know."

Source: Read Full Article