Missing girl, 15, found dead in Malaysian rainforest 'was not abducted'

A British schoolgirl who was found dead in a Malaysian rainforest was not kidnapped, an inquest heard today.

Nora Anne Quoirin, 15, went missing during her family’s holiday at the Dusun eco-resort in southern Negeri Sembilan on August 4 last year, one day after they arrived. A large-scale search was then launched, and her naked body was found on August 13, around 2.5 kilometres from where she’d been staying.

The teenager had mental and physical disabilities, and her parents Meabh and Sebastian Quoirin said during her disappearance that she would not have wandered off on her own.

But during an inquest in Malaysia, Negeri Sembilan police chief Mohamad Mat Yusop said the investigation showed no criminal element. He stated that there was no indication Nora had been abducted.

He continued: ‘We did not receive any telephone calls – usually in this kind of case we will get a call to say the victim has been kidnapped and is in the hands of certain people, and they would demand a ransom. I believe the missing person actually climbed out of the window.’

Haanim Ahmed Bamadhaj, owner of the resort the Quoirin were staying in, said a window in Nora’s room had a broken latch. She said Nora’s parents had told her the teenager went missing in her underwear and was known to hide when she was feeling frightened.


Recalling the night she disappeared, Ms Haanim said it was peaceful and that her dog, who barks if there were outsiders, was also quiet. She noted that her house faces the cottage where the Quorins were staying.

She said the faulty window, which was found ajar the morning Nora disappeared, could be opened from the outside, but said she had never had any criminal break-ins since opening her business 11 years ago. The inquest heard that the site did not have any CCTV.

A coroner said Nora likely starved to death during the time she was missing, and died from internal bleeding. She was also found to have some scratches on her legs, but these were ruled to be unrelated to her death.

Mr and Mrs Quoirin, from London, are due to give evidence at the inquest via videolink later this week. A British doctor who conducted a second post-mortem on Nora’s body will also give evidence remotely.


The Quoirin family has sued the resort owner for alleged negligence, as they say there was no security on the premises. In the lawsuit, they describe how Nora had poor motor skills, needed help to walk, and had a mental age of around five or six years old.

Gurdial Singh Nijar, the lawyer representing the resort, told reporters after the first day of the inquest that the incident was unfortunate but ‘there was no culpability’ on Ms Haanim.

Nora’s parents have welcomed Malaysia’s decision to hold the inquest after police classified the case as ‘no further action’. They said the inquest will be ‘crucial in determining the fullest possible picture of what happened to Nora and how her case was dealt with’.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected]

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Source: Read Full Article