Parents of boy, 7, electrocuted in ‘deathtrap’ pub garden plead for law change

The parents of a boy who was electrocuted in a "deathtrap" pub garden are demanding stricter laws .

As families will be escaping home and flocking to pubs over half term, Danielle Jones is fighting to make sure no one has to experience the same tragedy that befell her seven-year-old son, Harvey.

The petition that has been set up for Harvey Tyrell's Law, which would require pubs to show their electrical work is inspected annually, has already amassed close to 50,000 signatures as well as backing from the local MP, the Mirror reports.

Danielle, 32, said: “We want to bring about change as part of Harvey’s legacy so no other family loses their child down the pub.

"After Harvey’s death I felt so angry and from the amount of ­evidence we have collected we wonder how many other pubs could be deathtraps.”

Harvey was fatally shocked by a defective light as he sat on a low wall and touched a metal railing at the King Harold pub in Romford, Essex, in 2018.

The pub’s electrics had not been safety checked since 2009.

Harvey had been supervised in the garden by a member of Danielle’s family and a first aider from the pub performed CPR.

Danielle and Lewis Tyrrell, 41, went with their son in an ambulance but an hour later doctors said there was nothing they could do for him.

Danielle said: “I became hysterical and Lewis was sick. How could our little boy who had been happily playing in a pub garden less than two hours before, now be dead?

"It broke my heart I wasn’t there when he got hurt. Our grief was overwhelming.”

Last month at Snaresbrook crown court, pub landlord David Bearman, 73, admitted ­manslaughter and stealing tens of ­thousands of pounds worth of electricity and was jailed for nine years.

His brother-in-law Colin Naylor, 74, who installed the faulty lights, was ­acquitted of gross negligence manslaughter, was jailed for a year for failing to discharge a duty under the Health and Safety at Work Act.

Judge Martyn Zeidman QC described the pub as a “disgrace” and “a timebomb waiting to go off.”

The court heard the pub had 12 extreme electrical defects and a £12 earthing bar in a fuse box would have spared Harvey’s life.

Bearman had been warned about electrical installations in the 2009 inspection but there were no follow-up checks to ensure the defects had been fixed.

Therapist Danielle, of Harold Wood, Essex, who gave birth to son Jaxon 15 months ago, said: “This must change.

Get latest news headlines delivered free

Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?

We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.

Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.

You can sign up here – you won't regret it…

“Every pub should have to provide yearly certification that the electrical works have been tested and inspected.

“Otherwise they should be fined and their landlord insurance and licence made void.”

On Friday Romford MP, Andrew Rosindell, raised an early day motion in Parliament calling for the Government to back the proposed law.

He said no assessment to see if pubs are following what they’re meant to be doing is a loophole that needs closing.

Heartbroken Danielle added: “Our precious boy lost his life because Dave was greedy and had put money before customers’ safety.

"And Colin had done a shoddy job.”

Source: Read Full Article