Reason for Meghan Markle’s Coronation snub ‘exposed’, royal expert claims
Meghan Markle’s excuses for not attending King Charles’ Coronation this weekend have been questioned by a royal expert.
Royal writer Daniela Elser said that the Sussexes' main excuse for Meghan not attending the historic event is as “easy to swallow as Queen Camilla’s homemade fruitcake.”
Behind closed doors, Meghan has been telling her close friends that she wants to stay in her glitzy Montecito, California, mansion so that she can celebrate Prince Archie’s fourth birthday, which falls on the same day as the Coronation.
READ MORE: Coronation route 2023: King Charles' procession in full and where to see him on May 6
But Elser reckons that this excuse does not hold water,writing for news.au: “After all, the la famille Sussex easily managed to fly back last year to attend the late Queen’s Platinum Jubilee while also marking their daughter Princess Lili’s first birthday.”
The Telegraph reported that the Sussexes are keenly aware that Meghan’s presence at the historic ceremony would likely prove controversial, and that the not-so-royal couple did not want to attract negative attention.
But Elser says this excuse also doesn’t quite make sense either, given the couple’s history of airing the Firm’s dirty laundry in public.
“Avoiding “spotlights” and “controversy”? This is the same Duchess of Sussex we are talking about right – she of the Oprah Winfrey interview,” she wrote.
“The same Duchess who helped make a six-hour TV series largely about how rubbish palace life was? Since when did not making waves for the royal family become a Sussex thing? Since when did they start putting what is best for Buckingham Palace first?”
Royal superfan has 2,000 pieces of memorabilia and says they are 'extension of his family'
For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.
The Firm announced in mid-April that only Prince Harry would be attending the ceremony, writing in a statement: "Buckingham Palace is pleased to confirm that The Duke of Sussex will attend the Coronation Service at Westminster Abbey on May 6.
"The Duchess of Sussex will remain in California with Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet."
The question of their attendance was up in the air after the Sussexes and the rest of the royal family duked it out in the press and behind closed doors over the Firm’s alleged treatment of the couple
In early January, Prince Harry published a memoir that made several damning allegations against the royal family, pushing his relationship with family to an all time low.
- Teen girl among three killed after boy, 13, 'smashed stolen Mercedes into her'
- Huge asteroid bigger than London Eye to crash through Earth's orbit during Coronation
- Sick 'Devil's Disciple' serial killer seen chatting with clueless members of public
Source: Read Full Article