Son, 47, who decapitated mum with ornamental sword before dumping her head in freezer is jailed for 19 years

A SON who decapitated his mum with an ornamental sword before dumping her head in a freezer was today jailed for 19 years.

Philip Tarver, 47, stabbed his elderly mum Angela Tarver while wearing a nightie at the family home in Woking, Surrey.

He then threatened his 83-year-old father Colin on December 19 last year.

Tarver denied murder but was unanimously convicted by a jury following a trial at the Old Bailey.

He had lived at home all his life and had a history of cocaine and cannabis use, but psychiatric assessments concluded he was responsible for his actions.

His trial heard that, the night before the killing, he drank a bottle of vodka and six beers, and the following morning came downstairs wearing a nightdress and began to spring clean.

At one point, Tarver pulled the wires from the back of the television, and as his father went to plug them back in he heard a scream from the kitchen, where his wife had been sat with a cup of tea.

Prosecutor Alexandra Healy said: "He heard a short, sharp scream, and ran from where he was into the dining room.

"He could see that the chair that Angela was sitting on was knocked over.

"He could see his wife's feet were resting on that knocked over chair and they were not moving. He could tell she was laying on her back.

"Suddenly, the defendant appeared in front of him holding an ornamental sword that he had owned for sometime.

"He was holding the sword out in front of him, pointing it towards Colin Tarver.

"He said something to the effect of: 'I am going to kill you' or 'I have to kill you'."

Colin then ran down to the end of the drive and dialled 999.

Once his father had left the house, Tarver cut off his mother's head and placed it inside a box in the freezer.

When police arrived, he emerged the home waving a small Union Jack flag and announced: "I surrender.

"I am sorry for killing her. F*****g hell, I must repent for my sins."

Despite the confession, he later tried to blame his father for the killing, claiming he had come downstairs to find his mother lifeless.

Tarver denied both murder and making threats to kill but was convicted on both charges.

Source: Read Full Article