Teen girl drowns in Ducklington Lake as four people die after being pulled from water on hottest day of the year

A TEEN girl has drowned in an Oxfordshire lake as four people died in water-related tragedies across the UK on the hottest day of the year.

Cops reveal they were called to Ducklington Lake, in Witney, at around 2.35pm on Sunday and the girl was then pulled from the water.

However, Thames Valley Police revealed despite being taken to hospital she later tragically died.

The girl’s family have been informed and are being closely supported by specially-trained officers.

The death is being treated as unexplained and non-suspicious and a file will be prepared for the coroner.

Meanwhile police have discovered the body of a 19-year-old man who vanished in Salford Quays.

Greater Manchester Police were unable to revive the teen, who went missing on Sunday afternoon.

"Sadly, despite a rescue operation at Salford Quays this evening, a 19-year-old man has lost his life," a tweet on Greater Manchester Police's Twitter account read.

"Our thoughts are with this young man's family and friends, and the people who witnessed the tragic events."

Police launched an underwater search in the Quays and pictures from the scene show emergency crews being called to the area – which was packed with locals enjoying the scorching heat.

Firefighters were seen climbing into diving equipment before heading into the waters as temperatures touched 30C.

The emergency came on the hottest day of the year and The Quays were full of swimmers diving into the water.


The body has also been found following a desperate search for a missing boy who vanished in a river.

The teen entered the River Eden in Rickerby Park near Stony Holme, Carlisle on Saturday.

Police launched a search after they received a report of concern for the welfare of the boy at around 9pm by North West Ambulance Service.

The body was found at around 11:45am on Sunday. Formal identification has not yet taken place.

A passersby told the BBC that he had heard someone had drowned in the river, but this has not been confirmed.

In York, the body of a man in his 50s was recovered from the River Ouse, close to the Water End Bridge on Sunday evening.

Officers attended the scene, along with the fire and ambulance services, after being contacted by kayakers shortly before 5pm.

While formal identification is yet to take place, North Yorkshire Police believe they know the identity of the deceased but are awaiting confirmation.

And in Wakefield, cops were called  to the lake at Pugneys Country Park after receiving reports that a man had got into difficulty in the water.

Around 16 vehicles arrived at the scene close to the beach area of the country park and specialist teams searched the water.

In a statement West Yorkshire Police said: "Emergency services attended and an initial search of the lake was carried out to no gain.

"Enquiries are continuing at the scene and an underwater search is now in progress."

The Yorkshire Air Ambulance was also called to the scene and left just before 2.30pm.

    Source: Read Full Article