Tesco worker finds shopper dead in disabled toilet with heroin and syringe
A Tesco worker found a shopper dead in the supermarket toilet after breaking down the door.
Leighton Griffin, 43, went into the disabled toilets at the store in Cannock, Staffordshire, around 11am on November 6 last year.
However, it wasn’t until 3pm that his body was discovered.
Alcohol, diazepam, pregabalin, cocaine, morphine and heroin were found in Mr Griffin’s system, Stoke-on-Trent Live reports.
PC Rachel Broxton-Shaw said: “At 10am the first cleaner checked the public toilets. Everything was fine. At 10.08am he comes up the escalator into the store and goes towards the cafe, turns right, and goes into the disabled toilets.
“He is alone and nobody else goes in. The cleaner does her hourly check at 11am and finds the toilet is engaged and moved onto the ladies and gents.
“If there is somebody in there she doesn't disturb them because the next hour she will clean again. She goes at 12pm and it’s engaged. Again at 1pm it’s her final check and she is concerned because it’s unusual for somebody to be in consecutive hours.
“At 2pm, when the second cleaner takes over, she mentions the disabled toilets have not been cleaned since the morning.
“At 3pm, the second cleaner checks the toilets and it’s locked. He is unhappy with this and speaks to his manager so they force the door open.
“They found Leighton on the floor. He has been deceased for a while.”
UK weather: Brits brace for torrential rain and 10cm of snow causing travel chaos
Tesco called 999 and Leighton, of Lion Street, Rugeley, was pronounced dead at 3.57pm. He had six wraps of heroin – and one of them had been used.
PC Broxton-Shaw added: “He had obtained the drugs prior to him being seen on CCTV at Tesco. Leighton was clearly dead when he was found by staff. There was evidence of a foil syringe and a lighter.”
The cause of death was given as heroin toxicity, with drugs and alcohol contributory factors.
It is not known when and where they were purchased.
South Staffordshire coroner Andrew Haigh said: "I believe he had willingly taken these drugs himself. He was not intending to die but has taken more than his system could cope with. Indeed he was unwell at the time. This should be described as a drug-related death.”
Source: Read Full Article