Woman accused of helping boyfriend dismember Army Spc. Vanessa Guillén’s body fails to get confession tossed

The woman accused of helping her Fort Hood Army soldier boyfriend dismember and dispose of Spc. Vanessa Guillén’s body in Texas last year has failed to get her jailhouse confession thrown out.

Cecily Ann Aguilar appeared shackled in custody at a federal courthouse in Waco this week and listened as her lawyers argued that police deliberately violated her rights by waiting to give her a Miranda warning until after she confessed on June 30, 2020.

After 2½ hours of testimony Wednesday, during which prosecutors played video clips of the confession, U.S. District Judge Alan D. Albright denied the defense request to suppress the mea culpa, the Houston Chronicle reported.

Cecily Ann Aguilar

Aguilar, 23, told police during the interview that Spc. Aaron Robinson admitted to her that he fatally bludgeoned Guillén in the head with a hammer multiple times inside a Fort Hood armory.

At the same time Aguilar was confessing, Robinson, 20, escaped where he was being detained at Fort Hood and shot himself in the head as police closed in, authorities said.

Aguilar, a resident of Killeen, told police that after Robinson killed Guillén, he placed her body in a box with wheels and then moved the box to a site near the Leon River in Belton, Texas.

Robinson then picked up Aguilar at a gas station where she worked later that night or early the next morning and took her to the remote wooded location, according to an arrest warrant affidavit filed with the court.

“Robinson and Aguilar proceeded to dismember the dead female’s body. They used a hatchet or ax and a machete type knife,” the affidavit states.

“They removed the limbs and the head from the body,” it says. “Robinson and Aguilar attempted to burn the body; however, the body would not burn completely.”

The couple then placed Guillén’s mutilated body parts in “three separate holes and covered up the remains” with cement, authorities allege.

Missing Fort Hood soldier Vanessa Guillen.

Guillén’s relatives attended the court hearing Wednesday, sitting in the same room with Aguilar for the first time, they told the Houston Chronicle.

“Of course they spoke to us previous to entering the courtroom about having no outbursts, but it was really hard to sustain all of that,” older sister Mayra Guillén said. “Seeing this person for the first time ever, it brings back a lot. … It was really hard to maintain your cool.”

If convicted of conspiracy to tamper with evidence after a murder, Aguilar could face a maximum of 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

The case had attracted widespread attention not only for the brutality of the murder but also because Guillén’s family says she told them before she disappeared that she was sexually harassed at Fort Hood but didn’t feel comfortable telling her superiors.

A subsequent U.S. Army investigation in the aftermath of the murder found there was “a permissive environment for sexual assault and sexual harassment” at Ford Hood.

Source: Read Full Article